Columbia’s Glorious 4th of July Celebration
Celebrate our nation’s birthday the old-fashioned way! Come to Columbia State Historic Park on the 4th of July and participate in the many activities the 49ers enjoyed way back when, including a glorious parade up Main Street at noon. Folks in Columbia began the 4th of July parade tradition in 1852. After the parade, listen to the Great Mother Lode Brass & Reed Band concert, dance in the street, and try your skill at the many contests popular in the early days of Columbia. The kids will enjoy trying to climb the greased pole, and participating in the bucket brigade and the cake walk. Other contests for kids of all ages include nail pounding, watermelon and pie eating, egg relay race and egg toss, and a five-way tug-of-war.
The parade and concert are free, and entering the contests only costs a buck. A pulled pork barbecue will be served at 4 pm. Barbecue tickets are $10 for adults and $6 for children under 10. Come early for the best parking and bring lawn chairs. The festivities will begin with a ceremonial flag raising and black powder musket salute at 11 am.
- Flag Raising and Black Powder Musket Salute: 11:00AM by the Columbia Militia near the gazebo.
- The Great Mother Lode Brass & Reed Band: Concert starts at 11:00AM on Main Street.
- Needle in the Haystack : 11:30AM in front of the Livery Stable.
- Parade at Noon!: Registration begins at 10:30AM in front of Fallon Hotel. Line up at 11:45AM sharp.
Procession Begins at 12:00 noon in front of the Fallon Hotel. Awards presentation will occur at 1:30PM at the judges’ stand.
- Watermelon Eating Contest: 1:00PM Main Street. In front of the Columbia House.
- Bucket brigade: 1:00PM behind the Livery Stable.
- Nail Pounding Contest: 1:15PM at the BlackSmith Shop.
- Greased Pole Contest: 2:00PM Between the Mercantile & Firehouse.
- Egg Relay: 2:30PM Main Street.
- Egg Toss: 3:00PM at State & Main Streets.
- Cake Walk: 3:00PM at the Fallon House Garden.
- Five Way Tug-o-War: 3:30PM behind the bank, across from Eagle Cottage.
- Pulled Pork Bar B Que: Served 4:00PM till sold out, on State Street. Pulled pork sandwich, beans, coleslaw & bottled water.
Tickets sold from 10:00AM: Adults $10 & Children (under 10 yrs old) $6.00
- Town portrait after the BBQ for everyone there.
- Music by Faux Renwah
Sponsored by the Columbia Chamber of Commerce. Information: 209-536-1672.